Stay Informed With Department of Transportation Information
When do I get my Medical Certificate Card?
Medical card are normally given the same day as the medical physical exam, unless there is a health complication that may require further testing.
When do I get my drug test results back?
Negative results are normally received within 24-48 hours from the collection date; however, positive results could take anywhere from 72 hours to a week depending on how fast the Medical Review Officer (MRO) gets in contact with the donor.
Random Drug Testing
- Owner Operators / Drivers: Once notified of a random selection, DOT requires the driver to go directly to the collection site.
- DER’s (Contact from your Company): DOT allows the Designated Employee Representatives to have the selection period of (60) days to notify a driver that he/she has been selected for the random testing.
Post-Accident Drug Testing
When is a post-accident drug and alcohol testing required by the FMCSA?
If one of the three circumstances are involved:
- Human fatality.
- Citation for moving violation and bodily injury with medical treatment away from the scene.
- Citation for moving violation and disabling damage to any motor vehicle requiring tow away.
What are the time limits for conducting the post accident drug and alcohol testing?
- Alcohol (2) hours, if not conducted within two hours, the employer should continue to make an effort to have the driver tested for up to eight hours and prepare and maintain, on file, a record why the test was not administered.
- Drug (32) hours, if not conducted within thirty-two hours, the employer shall cease any attempt to administer a drug test and prepare and maintain, on file, a record stating the reason why the test was not administered.